Benefits of membership
- Access to the SHiP monitoring toolkit, used for monitoring the housing management performance of managing agents
- Use of the model Housing Management Contracts
- Training - SHiP is responsive to the requests of members for training that meets their needs. Past training, which is free for members includes:
- training on agency monitoring
- financial management for agency liaison managers
- housing law
- masterclass for senior staff on successful tendering
- VFM masterclass
- Introduction to working with managing agents
- Excellent speakers, both at the annual conference and at general meetings, and we also regularly receive updates from Sitra, National Housing Federation and the Homes and Communities Agency
- Benchmarking - SHiP members work together to contribute to benchmarking clubs and to analyse the results
- Sharing information and good practice - many members find this one of the most useful outcomes of SHiP membership. Member organisations effectively have access to a focus group of more than 20 peers and the coveted SHiP email distribution list is put to good use to address queries and solve problems. Several organisations have even successfully recruited by this method!
- Publications - SHiP members frequently share policies, procedures and other documents. SHiP is also producing an increasing number of Good Practice Guides for members. Our publications include:
- Good practice guide on the use of office space by agencies
- Consulting with agency managed residents
- Involving housing associations in commissioning and procuring accommodation based support services
- Smoking in bedrooms in shared accommodation
- The Agency Management Group - There is currently a very active and highly regarded sub-group covering matters around working with managing agents
- The Landlords' Group - this group covers matters relating to the provision and management of supported housing and the general care and support field. We frequently invite guest speakers to give presentations on relevant subjects.
Membership is open to any Register Provider of social housing that provides supported housing, care and/or support. The majority of our members are based in London or the south east of England, but we accept members from outside of this area. SHiP's meetings currently take place in London with the annual two-day conference being held in Brighton.
Frequency of meetings
The Agency Management Group and the Landlords' Group meetings are held in London quarterly. A Management Committee of volunteer members also meets quarterly to plan and service these meetings and to organise the annual conference.
Annual membership is £650 and includes:
- one free residential package at the annual conference in Brighton (worth in excess of £250)
- an invitation to all Agency Management Group and Landlords' Group meetings
- an invitation to participate in any of the sub-groups and working groups
- access to the bespoke agency monitoring package to ensure managing agents meet your housing management standards.
- access to the model Housing Management Contract
- access to SHiP's publications, good practice guides, policies and procedures shared by member organisations and any other documents on the website
How to find out more
If you would like to discuss joining SHiP, or to find out more about us, please get in touch.
Current SHiP members
Most major housing associations are represented at SHiP. These are our current members: